11/13/08

Homemakers

Homemakers deserve a LOT more respect. I am even more in awe of my mom now...since she has always been a working mother - she probably has earned more than she'll ever see in her lifetime! (And don't even get me started on the inequality of pay between men & women, especially seen by me now that I have a stinkin' Master's degree & I can't command half of what my B.S. male counterparts can command...ok, I'm a little bitter...)

"Homemakers are usually financially dependent on members of the household who are employed; however, people working full-time (particularly under 'at-will employment' arrangements) benefit from the unwaged work provided by the homemaker; otherwise the performance of such work-child care, cooking, housecleaning, teaching, transporting, etc.-in his or her absence would cost money. As of May 2007, the average annual salary of a homemaker in the U.S, if correlated to the total cost of outsourcing each element of his or her work to an external contractor, would be approximately $138,000. Working mothers would earn $85,876 annually for the 'mom job' portion of their work, in addition to their actual 'work job' salary."

Source: The price of a mom: $138,095 - MSN Money

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homemaker

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kate! The pay isn't in monetary stipends but in eternal rewards ... I know you just LOVE the sappy stuff, don't you? :>

Mom